Mathematics in the Historic Environment
Hosts were Mathematics Education in School of Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics, Linnaeus University, Kalmar/ Växjö and Kalmar läns museum.Kenyatta University, Department of Education, Communication and Technology, and Linnaeus University, Mathematics Education have started an exchange for university teachers and soon also university students. The goal is to develop a closer connection between community life and education, using nearby history and life experiences in teaching in Mathematics and History, “Life Mathematics”.
The Kenyan delegation took part in lessons at Barkesstorpsskolan, grade 6-9. They participated in two Time Travels, with grade 8 students to 1903 and with grade 5 students to the Middle Ages, 1397. The highlight of the visit was a seminar at Linnaeus University on “Mathematics in the Historic Environment”, with presentations from both the Kenyan and Swedish partners and discussions on benefits and implications. The exchange and project will continue with workshops and seminars in Kenya in January 2013.
Lena Westergren, Berit Roos-Johansson, Linnaeus University
Ebbe Westergren, Kalmar läns museum
- Time travels re-done at the kisumu railways station 45 years later
- Updated: Swedish Exhibition Agency videos from the 2014 BA conference
- Declaration from the Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit 2014
- Abstracts from the conference
- Conference programme
- Photos from the conference
- More photos from the conference
- Even more photos from the conference
- Ngurunit conference, a chance of a life time.
- Conference in Ngurunit, northern Kenya 30 April 2011
- Life Mathematics
- Mathematics in the Historic Environment
- Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit, Kenya, 26-28 August 2014
- ”Education and Community Building”
- “Education, Heritage and Community Building” Draft program and more
- Karibu Kenya Welcome to Kenya!
- Education and Community Building Mathematics in the Historic Environment
- Mathematics and History together Time Travels at Kisumu Railway Station, Kenya
- Comments from delegates of the Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit 26-29 August 2014
- Comments from the Ngurunit conferenece
- Bridging Ages Western Kenya
- Time Travel event at the Maseno Maths Camp, Kenya
- Bridging Ages Kenya Launch
- South Africa
- Åland Islands